World Events of 2001
- George Bush assumes power on the basis of a questionable election, and is declared to be the 43rd president of the US.
- The Al-Qaida myth is born. In January four men go on trial for activities relating to the 1998 bombing of the US Embassy in Kenya. However the only laws which are remotely applicable to the case are those which deal with organised crime. Therefore, Al-Quaida is fabricated by the prosecution as a terrorist organisation with a structure that mimics organised crime syndicates. After the "9/11" incidents, Osama bin-Laden gladly accepts the image of al-Qaida as it was used by the Western media (possibly due to vanity, possibly due to pragmatism), and for the first time he begins to use the term al-Qaida in these contexts. This myth perpetuates for years throughout the Bush "Reign of Terror" (sorry I mean "War on Terror").
- Congo president Laurent Kabila assassinated by his bodyguard. Kabila's his son Joseph assumes power.
- Ariel Sharon becomes Israel's prime minister in a period of escalating violence.
- There is violence in Macedonia between the majority population and the Albanian minorities.
- U.S. spy plane and Chinese jet collide. Relations between the countries deteriorates until US gives a formal statement of regret.
- Former Yugoslav president Slobodan Milosevic is delivered to UN tribunal in The Hague to await war-crime trial.
- "The 9-11" incident occurs. Hijackers attack several targets in the US. This is used by the Bush administration to clamp down on civil liberties at home, disregard the US constitution, and abandon all diplomatic norms in relations abroad.
Twin Towers in flames
- US begins bombing Taliban sites in Afghanistan.
- Irish Republican Army begins to disband.
- Hamid Karzai is elected to be president of an Afghan "government in exile", in anticipation of taking over from the Taliban.
- Israel severs ties with Yasir Arafat.
- Noah, a gaur, is born, the first individual of an endangered species to be cloned.
- Wikipedia is founded.
- Tropical Storm Allison produces 36 inches (900 mm) of rain in Houston, Texas, killing 22, damaging the Texas Medical Center, and causing more than 5 billion American dollars of damage overall.
- The 27th G8 summit takes place in Genoa, Italy. Massive demonstrations are held against the meeting by anti-globalisation groups. One demonstrator, Carlo Giuliani, is shot dead by a carabiniere. Several others are badly injured during a police attack on a school used by the protesters as their headquarters.
- Hurricane Michelle hits Cuba, destroying crops and thousands of homes.
- The Ipod is introduced by Apple
This page last updated
© 1998, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012 David and Chandrakantha Courtney
For comments, corrections, and suggestions, kindly contact David Courtney at email@example.com