World Events of 1989
- Salman Rushdie publishes "The Satanic Verses". Iran's Ayatollah Khomeini issues fatwa against him, declaring that his book is offensive to Islam.
- The Tiananmen Square protests occur. Tens of thousands of people protest the political situation in China. The protest end a massacre where an undisclosed number of protesters are killed. (Estimates run from the official Chinese declaration of 200-300 up to 2,000-3,000 by various student organisations).
Tiananmen Square protests
- US planes shoot down two Libyan fighters over in Mediterranean over international waters.
- Mikhail Gorbachev is named leader of the Soviet Union.
- P. W. Botha quits as South Africa's President.
- Deng Xiaoping resigns from China's leadership.
- The Czech Parliament ends Communists' dominant role
- Romanian uprising overthrows Communist government. President Ceausescu and wife executed.
- US troops invade Panama to capture General Manuel Noriega.
- George H. W. Bush (a.k.a. "Bush Senior") becomes the 41st president of the US.
George H.W. Bush
- Cuban troops begin withdrawing from Angola.
- Soviet withdrawal from Afghanistan is complete.
- The Ayatollah Khomeini dies.
- Berlin Wall comes down.
Berlin Wall comes down
- The first of 24 satellites of the Global Positioning System is placed into orbit.
This page last updated
© 1998, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012 David and Chandrakantha Courtney
For comments, corrections, and suggestions, kindly contact David Courtney at firstname.lastname@example.org