INDIAN MUSIC FORUM ARCHIVES: Sitar Forum: Update on Ustad Vilayat Khan Sahib's condition

Author Message
aanaddha
Update on Ustad Vilayat Khan Sahib's condition Mar 09, 2004 04:00 p.m.

Forwarded from:
sajjad_khaliq@yahoo.com
Subject: Update on Ustad Vilayat Khan Sahib's condition
Newsgroups: rec.music.indian.classical
Date: 2004-03-09 07:30:02 PST
"I received some updated information about Ustad Vilayat Khan Sahib's
condition on Thursday March 4th. He was out of intensive care and the
immediate danger was receding, although the longer term prognosis is
unclear.

Ustad Vilayat Khan Sahib's exclusive booking and recording agents,
Navras Records UK, posted the following announcement on their website
last week:

"Ustad Vilayat Khan, the legendary Sitar Maestro, who has been
exclusively associated with Navras since November 2000, is very
seriously ill in a Mumbai hospital. We are all rather shocked and
stunned by the sudden turn for the worse in his health when in fact we
were looking forward to hosting a few concerts of his in UK / Europe
in the spring. His condition is grave and we ask all our well-wishers
and music lovers to pray for him".

Let's continue our prayers for the health and well being of Ustad
Vilayat Khan Sahib, who has through his unprecedented musical genius,
touched the hearts and minds of music lovers throughout the world."

jaym
Re:Update on Ustad Vilayat Khan Sahib's condition Mar 09, 2004 04:33 p.m.

This is a positive step, let's hope it continues. . .

Thank You for the update

. .
Re:Update on Ustad Vilayat Khan Sahib's condition Mar 10, 2004 10:23 a.m.

.
Many thanks for sharing this tragic information about Ustad VK, and his improving prognosis. I'm sure many of us continue to pray for his improving health.

However, may I make a semi-unrelated request? There have been several threads started on this subject; that is very confusing. Why not continue posting to the same thread, so we can more easily track VK's prognosis? THis would be sooo much more helpful to those of us who care about him.

This is also true of other topics, when people will post a question, then post a new threat with the same question or a response to a question, and its all a mess. Instead, why not just reply to the original thread, and keep it going until it fizzles out, making it so much easier for others to read through and hopefully learn from the queries/responses. After all, this forum isn't just for one person's benefit, its for the benefit to all of us.

Aanaddha
Re:Update on Ustad Vilayat Khan Sahib's condition Mar 10, 2004 11:27 a.m.

You're right, however, I thought that in this case the message to be of importance and of newsworthiness for you not to have to scrool to the end of the thread to stay current. It is very good and unexpected news!
In the interim let us hope that those people who have never seen Ustad Vilayat Khansaheb in concert may still have the opportunity to contemplate the possibility.

Sincerely,
Aanaddha

aanaddha
Re:Update on Ustad Vilayat Khan Sahib's condition Mar 10, 2004 11:10 p.m.

Statesman News Service
KOLKATA, March 10. - Sitar maestro Ustad Vilayat Khan is seriously ill. and is currently undergoing treatment at a prominent hospital in Mumbai. According to Dr HS Advani, who is treating him: "We are giving him support here, but, his chances are very guarded. He has been in and out of the ICCU. We are trying to make him comfortable so that he can go back to Kolkata."
As every year, the Ustad had come to Kolkata in October and was scheduled to stay till March when he would return to his other home at Princeton in USA. But this time he fell ill and had to be shifted to Mumbai on 26 February where has recently been out of the ICCU.
The maestro's wife Zubeida Begum and youngest son Hidayat Khan are currently in Mumbai. Hidayat Khan said, 'Abba is very weak. The doctors are conducting tests.'
The pain and infirm health notwithstanding, the Ustad remains immersed in music even at the hospital. 'He is listening to Ustad Abdul Karim Khan, Zohra Bai and Ustad Amir Khan. Just the other day, I told him about a Kedara by Bade Ghulam Ali Khan and he began humming the bandish,' said
Hidayat.
Pro
Re:Update on Ustad Vilayat Khan Sahib's condition Mar 13, 2004 09:21 p.m.

I heard today, that Vilayat Khan has passed away.
Can anyone confirm this?
AJ
Re:Update on Ustad Vilayat Khan Sahib's condition Mar 13, 2004 09:19 p.m.

Very sad, the great maestro has passed. . . . .

http://in.news.yahoo.com/040313/58/2bzpg.html

A quiet moment of honor seems apropos. . . . .

Pro
Re:Update on Ustad Vilayat Khan Sahib's condition Mar 13, 2004 09:24 p.m.

My apologies, I just saw the official notice.
kalpit
Re:Update on Ustad Vilayat Khan Sahib's condition Mar 14, 2004 09:40 a.m.

This is indeed very sad news. We have lost a great musician, but just like ustad Amir khan in vocal music, Ustad Vilayat khan has carved out a unique sitar ang in vocal style which will live on forever for musicians and music lovers.

BTW: I think he must have had small cell lung cancer which usually spreads quickly by the time of diagnosis and carries very poor prognosis. In ustadji's case he was diagnosed in February, 2004.

kalpit pandya

Jan
Re:Update on Ustad Vilayat Khan Sahib's condition Mar 14, 2004 12:05 p.m.

Vilayet Khan has left the body� giving room for new superior artists and musicians, and leaving a solid print as one of the (if not, the) greatest of his kind, ever.

Jan

swansong
Re:Update on Ustad Vilayat Khan Sahib's condition Mar 15, 2004 03:49 p.m.

In Memory of Ustad Vilayat Khansahib

My Dear Fellow Music Lovers,

I am extremely saddened by the great loss we have all suffered - the passing away of my uncle, Ustad Vilayat Khansahib. I was very fortunate to have been with 'Bade Abba' (Ustad Vilayat Khansahib) last week at his bedside, but nothing could prepare me for the shocking news of his passing away so quickly. My father, Ustad Imrat Khansahib, was also in Mumbai last week, and, after returning to America, is distressed for the same reason.

Our extended family (my cousins Shujaat Bhai and Hidayat) is in close contact, and we are still trying to cope with the loss we have all suffered. My brothers Irshad and Wajahat are in Kolkata with the entire family.

My personal loss is not just of an uncle, but that of a guiding light and inspiration of sitar and Indian music.

I am deeply grateful to all of you for your condolences, prayers and blessings.

With my very best regards,

Nishat Khan

swansong
Re:Update on Ustad Vilayat Khan Sahib's condition Mar 15, 2004 04:38 p.m.

Dear Friends and Well Wishers of Ustad Vilayet Khan and Ustad Imrat Khan and to the admirers and followers of our Khandaan,

The legendary Ustad Vilayet Khan was not only my elder brother but he was my mentor and my hero. Since I lost my father at the age of three, it was my elder brother whom guided me into the galaxies of Indian classical music.

We lived and played together til 35 years of my age and 43 years of his age and performed and recorded the finest music still to be heard from the golden pages of Indian classical music. The entire generation of the
musical style of our gharana was preserved, enhanced and reestablished during this period in the world of music.

I had the opportunity of blessed moments to be with him in Mumbai at the Jaslok hospital during the first week of March before he permanently went into a coma. I am very fortunate as always that he entrusted upon me his
last wishes and desires. Among which his greatest wish was to maintain the highest standard of sitar and surbahar in our gharana and for it to be
continued sincerely with all its purity and integrity as he had maintained all his life. He gave me this monumental task to be continued for the rest of my life with my most sincere sons, nephews, and students of our gharana
and khandaan.

I will always be seeking support, love, and blessings from the members and followers of my gharana.

With all my gratitude.

Sincerely,

Imrat Khan
www.imratkhan.com

aanaddha
Re:Update on Ustad Vilayat Khan Sahib's condition Mar 18, 2004 10:10 p.m.