Major South Asian Events of 1993
- Communal violence in wake of Babri Masjid destruction wracks Indian cities, especially Bombay, which suffered from a series of bomb blasts in March.
Bombay Bomb Blast
- The All Parties Hurriyat Conference is formed in Kashmir.
- A Tamil Tigers suicide bomber assassinates President Ranasinghe Premadasa of Sri Lanka.
Body of Premdasa and bystanders after bombing
- Nadeem / Shravan win Filmfare award for "Best Music Director" for their work in "Deewana
- Sri Lankan civil war: over 400 Sri Lankan military die in the Battle of Pooneryn.
- Congress Party gains a parliamentary majority in India after the defection of ten Janata Dal party lawmakers.
- Severe floods hit South Asia, killing over 4,000 people in Bangladesh, India and Nepal.
- Five more Doordarshan (TV) channels are launched.
- An earthquake hits India's Latur and Osmanabad district of Marathwada in Maharashtra state leaving tens of thousands of people dead and many more homeless.
Selected Videos of 1993
Cricket Asia Cup 2004: Bangladesh wickets vs India
This page last updated
© 1998, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012 David and Chandrakantha Courtney
For comments, corrections, and suggestions, kindly contact David Courtney at email@example.com