World Events of 1983
- US Invades Grenada.
- A number of US marines and French servicemen killed in explosion in Beirut.
Remains of US Embassy
- Twenty-five members of the Red Brigades are sentenced to life imprisonment for the murder of Aldo Moro.
- IBM releases the IBM PC XT.
- U.S. President Ronald Reagan calls the Soviet Union an "evil empire."
- Soviet Embassy official Valery Ivanov is expelled from Australia for allegedly trying to recruit spies in the Australian government.
- Pioneer 10 becomes the first man made object to leave the solar system.
- Benigno Aquino, Jr., Philippines opposition leader, is assassinated in Manila just as he returns from exile.
Body of Aquino
- Microsoft Word is first released.
- Able Archer 83 began, a NATO exercise that many Soviet officials misinterpreted as a nuclear first strike, causing the last nuclear scare of the Cold War. Soviet military officer Stanislav Petrov averts a worldwide nuclear war. However this does not become known to the public until 1998.
- The Zapatista Army of National Liberation is founded in Mexico.
- Michael Jackson's world famous music video for "Thriller" is broadcast for the first time. It will become the most often repeated and famous music video of all time and increase his own popularity and the record sales of the album "Thriller".
Michael Jackson, Thriller
- The FCC in the US gives the approval that opens the way for the DynaTAC hand held phone
Motorola DynaTAC 8000X
- Iran / Iraq war continues
- Reagan illegally supplies arms to Iraq. When the affair comes to light it comes to be known as the Iran / Contra Scandal. In spite of the illegality and the countless lives lost, Reagan is never impeached.
Saddam Hussein and Donald Rumsfeld, the special envoy of President Ronald Reagan, meet in Baghdad on December 20, 1983
This page last updated
© 1998, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012 David and Chandrakantha Courtney
For comments, corrections, and suggestions, kindly contact David Courtney at firstname.lastname@example.org