Major South Asian Events of 1983
- India wins the third Cricket World Cup at Lords under Kapil Dev. This became the turning point of the sport in the country.
- The Black July, a communal riot occurs in Sri Lanka. These anti Sri Lankan Tamil riots leaves over 1,000 Tamils massacred and millions of dollars worth of their property destroyed. This pogrom is the beginning of a deadly Sri Lankan civil war in Sri Lanka.
- The Rangoon bombing kills South Korea's Foreign Minister, Lee Bum Suk, and 21 others.
- ICIMOD established and inaugurated with its headquarters in Kathmandu, Nepal, and legitimised through an Act of Parliament in Nepal in the same year.
- Bandit Queen Phoolan Devi surrenders.
- Hundreds of people die in Assam as fighting rages in the run up to elections.
- Rekha Hande is awarded the title "Miss India", in the Femina Miss India Pageant.
- Production of the Maruti begins.
- The Hindustani violin player and educator V.G. Jog is awarded Padma Bhushan
This page last updated
© 1998, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012 David and Chandrakantha Courtney
For comments, corrections, and suggestions, kindly contact David Courtney at email@example.com