Film World Events of 1976
- Mukesh, singer dies at the age of 53 in Detroit USA, of a heart attack.
- Abhishek Bachchan is born to Amitabh Bachchan and Jaya (Bhaduri) Bachchan. (Feb 5, 1976)
- Shyam Benegal awarded Padma Shri.
- Mithun Chakrabarty makes his film debut in "Mrigaya."
- Rajesh Joshan wins Filmfare award for "Best Music Director" for his work in "Julie".
- "Deewaar" wins Filmfare Award for "Best Picture".
- Kishore Kumar wins the Filmfare Award for "Best Male Playback" for the song Dil Aisa Kisi from "Amanush".
- Sulakshana Pandit wins the Filmfare Award for "Best Female Playback" for the song Tuhi Sagar Hai from "Sankalp".
- The Indian film industry feels the pressure of governmental censorship. Amrit Nahata attempts to make a film about corrupt politicians entitled "Kissa Kursi Ka". However it is destroyed by people working for the Congress party. After the emergency, the film is remade.
- Singer / actress Yogeeta Bali (niece of the the 1940's actress Geeta Bali) and singer / actor Kishore Kumar are married. This is his third marriage. The marriage does not last.
- Dhirendranath Ganguly (actor/director) is the recipient of the "Dadasaheb Phalke Award" for lifetime achievement.
- Bengali film-maker Satyajit Ray is awarded the Padma Vibhushan, India's second highest civilian honour
- Sanjeev Kumar wins the "Filmfare Best Actor Award" for his performance of J.K. in "Aandhi"
- Lakshmi wins the "Filmfare Best Actress Award" for her performance of Julie in "Julie"
- Sridevi gets her first role as a heroine in the Tamil film "Moondru Mudichu".
A Few Notable Films of 1976
Top 10 Hindi Films
- Dus Numbri
- Laila Majnu
- Hera Pheri
- Kabhi Kabhi
- Do Anjaane
- Aalinganam (Malayalam)
- Aap Beeti (Hindi)
- America Ammayi (Telugu)
- Annakkili (Tamil)
- Bairaag (Hindi)
- Balika Badhu (Hindi)
- Bhadrakali (Tamil)
- Bundal Baaz (Hindi)
- Chalte Chalte (Hindi)
- Chirikudukka (Malayalam)
- Chitchor (Hindi)
- Jaaneman (Hindi)
- Jeevan Jyoti (Hindi)
- Mehbooba (Hindi)
- Paarijatham (Malayalam)
- Panchathanthram (Malayalam)
- Yuddha Bhoomi (Malayalam)
This page last updated
© 1998, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016 David and Chandrakantha Courtney
For comments, corrections, and suggestions, kindly contact David Courtney at email@example.com