World Events of 1973
- The 4th Arab / Israeli war begins (a.k.a. "Yom Kippur War".
Yom Kippur War
- TCP/IP is adopted as the standard protocol for communicating between computers. This is an important step in the development of the internet.
- Ireland, Great Britain, and Denmark enter Common Market.
- US and North Vietnam sign ceasefire. This ends the involvement of US ground troops in Vietnam.
- US ceases bombing in Cambodia.
- Allende is overthrown in Chile. He is replaced with Pinochet.
- As a punishment for US and Western involvement in the Yom Kippur war, OPEC increases prices, thus initiating the "73 Gas Shortage".
- Ferdinand Marcos becomes President for Life of the Philippines.
- Bahamas gains independence.
- Picasso Dies
Picasso (self portrait)
This page last updated
© 1998, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012 David and Chandrakantha Courtney
For comments, corrections, and suggestions, kindly contact David Courtney at email@example.com