World Events of 1961
- John F. Kennedy becomes the 35th President of the United States.
John F. Kennedy
- The ill fated Pay of Pigs incident occurs. A US sponsored army of 1,200 Cuban expatriates attempts to invade Cuba. They are all either captured or killed.
- The number of US "advisors" in Vietnam reaches 2000.
- Consumer goods abound.
8mm moving picture camera
- US breaks diplomatic relations with Cuba.
- Uri Gagarin becomes first man to orbit the earth in a spacecraft.
- Berlin Wall is constructed.
- USSR Detonates 50 megaton Hydrogen bomb.
- Republic of South Africa formed.
- OPEC (Organisation of Petroleum Exporting Countries) is formed.
- All over the world, teenagers are dancing the twist.
Dancing the "Twist"
- Hundreds of Algerian protesters are massacred by Paris police.
- X-15 flown by Neil Armstrong sets world speed record of 6,587km/h
X-15 experimental rocket plane
This page last updated
© 1998, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012 David and Chandrakantha Courtney
For comments, corrections, and suggestions, kindly contact David Courtney at firstname.lastname@example.org