World Events of 1956
- Egypt takes control of the Suez Canal.
- Morocco gains independence from Spain and France.
- There is and unsuccessful uprising of Polish workers against the communist rulers.
- 2nd Arab Israeli war is fought.
- Soviets crush anti-Communist uprisings in Hungary.
Hungary in revolt
- Hollywood inundates the Western world with an endless string of "B" movies.
Hollywood has a monstrous cucumber invade earth
- French minister Pierre Mendès-France resigns due to his government's policy on Algeria.
- The US tests fully serviceable Hydrogen bomb over the Bikini Atoll in the Pacific, with the equivalent force of 10 million tons of TNT.
- Elvis Presley first makes a splash in the US.
- The first practical videotape machines are introduced.
- Great Britain abolishes death penalty.
- The hard-disk drive is invented by IBM. It contained 50, 24-inch disks. Its total storage capacity was 5MBytes.
IBM's 305 RAMAC computer with the RAMAC 350 disk drive
- The European singer Dalida has her first big hit with "Bambino". She goes on to become one of the biggest selling recording artists in history.
This page last updated
© 1998, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012 David and Chandrakantha Courtney
For comments, corrections, and suggestions, kindly contact David Courtney at firstname.lastname@example.org