World Events of 1955
- Churchill resigns as PM of Great Britain. He is succeeded by Anthony Eden.
- West Germany becomes sovereign state, joins NATO.
- Soviet Union and seven East European countries sign the Warsaw Pact.
- Juan Peron is deposed in Argentina.
- US begins sending aid to Vietnam.
- The popularity of TV rises around the Western world
Rising popularity of TV
- Nikolai Bulganin becomes Soviet Premier.
- Pentagon announces plan to develop ICBMs (intercontinental ballistic missiles) armed with nuclear weapons.
- Fighting continues between the Chinese Nationalist Army and the Republic of China. China succeeds in consolidating the mainland while the remnants of the ROC seek refuge in Formosa.
- Anti-French uprisings continue in Algeria.
- Mau Mau uprising continues in Africa.
Mau Mau in Kenya
- Albert Einstein dies.
This page last updated
© 1998, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012 David and Chandrakantha Courtney
For comments, corrections, and suggestions, kindly contact David Courtney at firstname.lastname@example.org